Christ the King

The Last Sunday after Pentecost
Christ the King
November 25, 2018



Christ in Judgment, Florence, Italy, c. 1300. Vanderbilt Divinity Library.

Today is the Last Sunday after Pentecost, known as Christ the King Sunday. As the liturgical year draws to a close, this day celebrates Christ's kingship and sovereign rule over  all creation. Festive hymns and anthems are a hallmark of this glorious celebration. We will welcome a new year next Sunday as Advent begins.

One of the great hymns we will sing is "King of glory, king of peace," a poem by the Anglican priest and poet, George Herbert (1593-1633). As you read the text and listen to the recording, reflect on its message of praise and adoration that is central to this day. We are called to sing God's praises with our "utmost art," "seven whole days, not one in seven." May God's grace be with us as we renew our baptismal vows and prepare to enter a new year of prayer, community, and service.


King of glory, King of peace,
I will love thee;
and that love may never cease,
I will move thee.
Thou hast granted my request,
thou hast heard me;
thou didst note my working breast,
thou hast spared me.
Wherefore with my utmost art
I will sing thee,
and the cream of all my heart
I will bring thee.
Though my sins against me cried,
thou didst clear me;
and alone, when they replied,
thou didst hear me.
Seven whole days, not one in seven,
I will praise thee;
in my heart, though not in heaven,
I can raise thee.
Small it is, in this poor sort
to enroll thee:
e’en eternity’s too short
to extol thee.

Words: George Herbert, 1633
Music: General Seminary, by David Charles Walker (b. 1938) in The Hymnal 1982 (Episcopal)
Meter: 74 74 D


Music for the Last Sunday after Pentecost
Christ the King
November 25, 2018

Hymns
494   Crown him with many crowns (Diademata)
460   Alleluia, sing to Jesus (Hyfrydol)
296   We know that Christ is raised and dies no more (Engelberg)
*822   Through north and south and east and west (Lasst uns erfreuen)
382   King of glory, king of peace (General Seminary)
544   Jesus shall reign where'er the sun (Duke Street)

Service Music
Psalm 132:1-5, 9-13, A HymnTune Psalter   -Carl P. Daw and Kevin R. Hackett
Sanctus , S-128   -William Mathias
Memorial Acclamation S-138   -McNeil Robinson II
Great Amen S-146   -Robinson
Fraction Anthem S-155   -Gerald Near

Anthems
Vidi Aquam   -Marty Wheeler Burnett
God Omnipotent Reigneth   -16th century melody, arr. Charles Wood
Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence   -Fred Gramann

Organ Music
Partita on Diademata   -Charles Callahan
Musique Royale   -Michel Delalande

*from Wonder, Love, and Praise


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Composer Michael McCabe

Come, Holy Spirit

"Praying Twice" Says Farewell